SDS-WAS Regional Center and Node
This Regional Centre, hosted by Spain, is managed by a consortium of the Meteorological State Agency of Spain (AEMET) and the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC-CNS).
The SDS-WAS Regional Centre (SDS-WAS RC) supports a node, which consists of a network of research and operational partners implementing SDS-WAS objectives in a region. The members of this node are the host institutions of the SDS-WAS RC and regional partners engaged in research and operations of SDS-WAS. The node itself is organized as a federated system.
- To provide a web-based portal for user access to regional research and forecast activities and services: SDS-WAS partners will communicate using regional web portals accessible through a general WMO SDS-WAS web site. They will contain value-added observational and forecast products as well as links to sources of basic information. They will also contain SDS-WAS description, tasks, upcoming events and background information.
- To provide neutral ground for operations, research and capacity building in the region and to build partnerships
- To support the identification and organization of activities through a regional steering group (RSG) consisting of representatives of members of the regional node covering research, operations and selected users. The SDS-WAS RC supports the activities of the node agreed upon by the Regional Steering Group. The appointment and organization of the RSG activities are assisted by the WMO Secretariat
- To cooperate with existing operational service delivery mechanisms, recognizing that warnings related to SDS-WAS are generally the responsibility of the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) and that SDS-WAS products provide input to NMHSs.
- To report to the SDS-WAS Steering Committee annually.