SDS-WAS: Dust observation and modeling
SDS-WAS: Dust observation and modeling is a side event that will be held during the GAW 2017 Symposium. It is scheduled on Tuesday 11 April 12:00-13:00 at : 7 bis, avenue de la Paix, 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland.
The event will focus first on the need of different communities for observational data:
- Modeling community, for data assimilation and forecast evaluation
- National Meteorological and Hydrological Services, for dust monitoring and nowcasting
- End-users of different sectors (air quality, health, aviation, solar energy)
Then, there will be a review of the state-of-the-art of dust observation, describing current and potential capabilities of different platforms (in situ, ground-based remote sensing, satellite) as well as their geographical coverage and data availability.
- Enric Terradellas (State Meteorological Agency of Spain): Observational needs
- Emilio Cuevas (State Meteorological Agency of Spain): Ground observation
- Taichu Tanaka (Japan Meteorological Agency): Satellite observation
- Valentin Foltescu (United Natiolns Environment Programme): UNEP view